It is the season for crochet market bags! Crochet along with me as we make four new market bag crochet patterns!
Many grocery stores and markets are now encouraging their shoppers to bring their own reusable bags. Even our little local grocery store will be going plastic bag less come May, so this crochet along comes at a good time.
This post contains affiliate links. This means that when you make a purchase through one of these links, Rich Textures Crochet will earn a small commission at no additional cost to yourself. Thank you for supporting Rich Textures Crochet.
How it works:
Beginning May 5th, 2021 I will release one new crochet market bag pattern each week for four weeks.
The schedule will be as follows:
- Wednesday, May 5th: Everyday Market Bag The Everyday Market Bag
- Wednesday, May 12th: Making Waves Market Bag
- Wednesday, May 19th: Sturdy Mesh Market Bag Crochet Pattern
- Wednesday, May 26th: Crisscross Market Bag Crochet Pattern
The pattern will be posted in written form here on my blog. A full video tutorial will also be posted to my YouTube channel.
All of the patterns will be free here on my blog and YouTube Channel and will forever remain free here even after the crochet along has ended. For those who wish to save and print the pattern, there will be a paid PDF available each week in my Etsy and Ravelry Shop.
Each crochet market bag features a similar construction and is worked as one piece. They range in difficulty from easy to intermediate.
Do not be afraid to try the more challenging designs, as you will have a video tutorial and a community to help you along the way!
Each bag is worked from the bottom up and I have worked them using two to four different colours, however you may use as many or as few as you would like.
Each of the crochet market bags is worked in a 100% worsted weight cotton yarn. I will be using the Pima Cotton by Lion Brand (Lion Brand® Pima Cotton Yarn; 186 yds/170m; 3.5 oz/100g; 100% cotton; medium/worsted weight). However you can use a worsted weight cotton of your choice. Another option would be the Bernat Handicrafter Cotton by Yarnspirations.
My colours and approximate yardage for each bag is as follows:
- Week One: You will need approximately 500 yards in total. I will be using 4 different colours of the Pima Cotton: 120 yards of Pewter, 120 yards of Stone, 150 yards of Rain Cloud and 120 yards of Mademoiselle.
- Week Two: You will need approximately 400 yards in total. I will be using 2 different colours of the Pima Cotton: 220 yards of Rain Cloud and 186 yards of Mademoiselle.
- Week Three: You will need approximately 420 yards in total. I will be using 3 different colours of the Pima Cotton: 165 yards of Pewter, 150 yards of Stone, 100 yards of Mulberry.
- Week Four: You will need approximately 460 yards in total. I will be using 4 different colours of the Pima Cotton: 160 yards of Pewter, 100 yards of Stone, 100 yards of Rain Cloud and 100 yards of Mademoiselle.
Along with your yarn and hook you will also need a pair of scissors and a yarn needle for finishing off.
How do I Join?
There is no official sign up for this crochet along! However, there are several ways you can connect and interact!
First, you will want to join my email list (you can find the sign up form on my homepage at the top or using the form below). Each week I will send out an email with the direct links to the patterns to your inbox.
Second, you can join the Rich Textures Crochet Community on Facebook! Here you can ask questions, post photos and see how other participants projects are coming along. Also don’t forget to follow the Rich Textures Crochet Facebook page.
Third, be sure to subscribe to Rich Textures Crochet on YouTube! Not only will you be notified when a new crochet market bag video is posted, but you will be notified when I post new stitch tutorials and other great patterns!
Fourth, I invite you to follow Rich Textures Crochet on Instagram. Here I will share weekly sneak peeks!
Be sure to tag #marketbagcal across all social media and mention @richtexturescrochet so that I can admire it!
This is going to be fun!
If you would like to check out a previous crochet along hosted here on Rich Textures Crochet, you can check out the Hats, hats, Wonderful Hats! Free Crochet Along.
I am so excited to be starting this new crochet along journey with you! I can’t wait to see your finished crochet market bags!
See you on May 5th for the first post!
Until then, happy crocheting!