Welcome to Rich Textures Crochet!
I’m so exited you found my little creative corner of the internet!
I love creating unique crochet designs for both you and your home, and then helping you to be able to create them as well.
Rich Textures Crochet is full of original crochet patterns and video tutorials. Here you will also find crochet inspiration as I play and experiment with colour and texture, visit and explore the local yarn shops and fibre farms around me.
Hello Fibre Friends!
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Sarah Thompson, the designer and creator behind Rich Textures Crochet. I love to be creative and look forward to sharing that love with you as well.
This is my corner of the internet where I share my crochet designs and love for fibre. Here you can find crochet patterns for your home including blankets and scrubbies. You’ll also find crochet accessories such as scarves, hats and gloves! Occasionally you may also hear stories of my travels with my family as I visit local fibre farms, mills and yarn shops.
I’ve tried to make it as easy as possible for you to find what you are looking for (it is constantly a work in progress as I learn more about web design). The best place to start is the menu bar at the top of this page or the search box which you will find at the bottom of each page. There you can search for a specific pattern or by key word.
Are you new to Rich Textures Crochet? Why not start with one of these more popular patterns:
Men’s Classic Beanie Free Crochet Pattern
Rivers Shawl Free Crochet Pattern
Midwinter Blanket Free Crochet Pattern
Easy Children’s Crochet Hat Free Pattern
Elizabeth Beanie Crochet Pattern
Winter Woven Throw Free Crochet Pattern
Do not feel overwhelmed…grab a cup of coffee, your favourite crochet hook, some yarn and get inspired!
A little bit more about me…
- I am a mom to four energetic and fun loving children and two border collies! They love to play outdoors, build lego kingdoms and (at times!) curl up in my latest crochet blanket.
- I am married to my college sweetheart who has been very supportive (and patient!) of this crochet adventure. He was instrumental in my starting to design crochet patterns and often gives me feedback on my patterns and guidance as I navigate the website design world.
- If you find yourself at our house unexpected, you will find toys on our living room floor and dirty dishes in the sink. They are marks of one who has truly lived!
- I grew up in Nova Scotia, Canada, and used to be a competitive highland dancer an avid horse rider and dreamt of one day being a marine biologist!
- I have three degrees: A Bachelors of Arts, a Bachelors of Religious Studies and a Masters of Divinity! (I started in marine biology and aquaculture, but quickly realized I didn’t have the passion for the level of chemistry knowledge needed!)
- I am an ordained minister in the Presbyterian Church in Canada, although I am not currently leading a congregation. After being a minister for several years in two small rural congregations, I decided to take some time away and focus on my growing family.
- At one time I was a part time librarian at our local library! As Rich Textures Crochet grew, I decided to step down from my position at the library in order to focus more of my time on what we all love to do – crochet!
Are you wondering…why Rich Textures Crochet?
If you take a look through my crochet patterns, one thing will quickly stand out – not only do I love to play with colour, but I LOVE to play with texture! There are so many crochet stitches and designs out there and I love to learn new stitches and techniques.
My favourite crochet books are crochet stitch dictionaries (If you know of a good one, comment below! I’m always looking to increase my collection). I love surfing YouTube tutorials and trending crochet topics.
Many of my designs are inspired by images that I find in home and the occasional fashion magazine. I am the kind of person that will see a picture in a magazine or come across something in the store and think, “I can do that.”
When I am not crocheting or hanging out with my family, you’ll probably find me:
- Reading a book! I am also a librarian who enjoys a good romance or young adult fantasy novel, probably with a cup of coffee in hand.
- Cleaning – Four kids, a husband and two dogs…. need I say more?
- Wandering through a local forest or along the shores of a local beach. I am most likely there with my family!
- During the summer months, I may be gardening in the backyard. We don’t have large vegetable gardens, but they get good use, along with the couple dozen giant sunflowers that we will grow along our fence line and a well used herb garden.
I would love to connect with you!
One of the easiest ways to connect with me is by commenting in the blog posts! Notifications are sent to my phone and I will reply as soon as I can. I love to hear how you are making out with my patterns, or if you have any questions.
You can also find me on Facebook. Through my Facebook Page you will also find the Rich Textures Crochet Community Facebook group where I encourage you to share your love of crochet!
On YouTube you’ll find many stitch tutorials and video tutorials for the patterns that you find here. Don’t forget to subscribe!
On Instagram you’ll find an interactive community where I like to hear about you – your crochet likes and dislikes – I’ll also share sneak peeks and announcements about new crochet patterns.
On Pinterest you’ll find collections of my favourite things! From crochet to food to kids crafts. It’s all there!
Have a question? I would love to hear from you:
richtexturescrochet (at) gmail (dot) com
Are you a crochet designer or fibre artist, process and/or dye your own yarn? I am often looking for ways to collaborate and enjoy working with new yarns! Please feel free to get in touch through any of the avenues above. I look forward to working with you!
You can find my full Disclosure Policy by visiting the drop down menu (About) in the menu bar above.
Thank you so much for stopping by, be sure to visit for a bit, check out some of the patterns above. Be sure to come back soon! Happy Crocheting!